Exceptional Children Certificate
The Exceptional Children Certificates provide students with a range of basic to advanced knowledge and applicable skills to meet the needs of children with disabilities ranging in age from 0-21 years old. Due to the on-going changes in the special education field due to research and best practices, students must complete all courses for the basic certificate (15 units) and advanced certificate (24 units) within a five-year period ranging from the first to final course.Basic Certificate for Exceptional Children (15 units) To complete the Basic Certificate for Exceptional Children, students must complete a total of 15 units. Students must complete the two required courses and select an additional 9 units from the elective course offerings.
How do I get started?
- For the Basic Certificate - Enroll in both of the required courses below and at least three elective courses noted below (at least 15 units total).
- For the Advanced Certificate - Complete the Basic Certificate and at least three additional elective courses noted below (at least 24 units total).
- SED-901N: High Incidence Disabilities
- SED-###: Response to Intervention/Multi-tiered Systems of Support (Course Coming Soon)
- SED-902N: Special Education in Private Schools
- SED-904N: Special Education Law: An Overview for Educators and Parents
- SED-906: Cultural Reciprocity in Special Education
- SED-###: Low Incidence Disabilities (Course Coming Soon)
- SED-###: Special Education Assessment Process (Course Coming Soon)
- SED-###: Executive Functioning and Behavior Support Plans (Course Coming Soon)
- SED-###: Autism Spectrum Disorders (Course Coming Soon)
- SED-###: Assistive Technology for Children with Disabilities (Course Coming Soon)
- SED-###: Sensory Disabilities: Physical, Visual, Hearing, & Deaf-blindness (Course Coming Soon)
- SED-###: Special Education Collaboration (Course Coming Soon)
- SED-###: English Language Learners and Twice Exceptional (2 units) (Course Coming Soon)
- SED-###: School Culture: Inclusion to Belonging (2 units) (Course Coming Soon)
- SED-###: Learning about Individuals with Special Needs (2 units) (Course Coming Soon)
How do I obtain the certificate?
- Complete the required courses as specified above.
- Click to download the application form.
- Return completed application form to CE office, as stated on the form.
- Upon receipt of the completed application form, and verification of successful completion of required courses, the certificate is awarded and posted to the participant's transcript.